If you have a mountain bike or a road bike, it is important that you know how to care of it properly. Caring for your mountain or road bike is important to ensure that it is always in top condition. Proper maintenance of your bike also prevents you from having an accident while on the road. It is not only for the bike's performance but also for your safety.
There are a number of things that you should do to keep your ride in good condition. Here is a list of the best ten tips for road and mountain bike maintenance.
1. Check your tires. Everyone knows that the most used parts of the bicycle are the tires. You should look closely at the tires and search for holes and cracks. This will prevent you from having a flat tire while on the road.
2. Check your bike cables. Your bike cables are connected to your brakes and gears. If they are damaged or broken, your brakes and gears will not be working. You need to replace them with new ones if something is wrong with them.
3. Check your handlebars. It is important that your handlebars are also in good condition. If they are cracked or damaged, you need to repair or replace them as soon as possible. You also have to make sure that the rubber covering the handlebars are in good condition. This keeps your grip on the handlebars secure. It is also easier to hold the handlebars if they are covered with rubber than exposed handlebars, especially if it is too hot because steel absorbs heat and makes it difficult for you to hold.
4. Check the bike chain. The bike chain should be replaced twice every year or depending on how often your ride your bicycle. Replacing them regularly will ensure that your gears and sprockets are in good working condition. This is also much cheaper than repairing or replacing your broken gears and sprockets.
5. Check the body. The body should be free of rust and corrosion. A rusty and corroded body can be dangerous especially while you are riding the bike on rocky terrain or very fast on a smooth surface. You can get into an accident if your bike suddenly breaks apart because the body is not in good condition.
6. Check the bearings. To do this, you need to move your bike forward and backward several times while the brakes are locked. Make sure that you do not hear any weird noise because weird noise means that something is wrong with your bearings. Bearings allow you to steer your bike. If they are broken, you will lose control of your bike while riding on it.
7. Lubricate your bike. You need to lubricate several parts of the bike such as the chain, brake pivots, pedals, brakes and gears cables, shocks, hubs, and brackets. This will ensure that your bike is running smoothly.
8. Clean your bike regularly. Simple cleaning like dusting and wiping with clean cloth is important to keep your bike in good condition. You also need to wash your bike thoroughly, especially after a long ride in the mountains or on a muddy road.
9. Always bring spares and tools. You always have to be ready while riding your bike. If possible, always bring spares and tools like spare tire tube, repair kit, multi tools, hand pump, and so on.
10. Bring your bike to a repair shop when needed. If you do not know what is wrong with your bike, you have to bring it to the repair shop immediately before you think about using it. This will avoid making the problem worse and will prevent you from having an accident while riding.
There are a lot of great things about owning a bicycle. You may be a rider who uses their bicycle to make their daily commute or one who rides for exercise; either way, you need a bike which is comfortable to ride and matches up with the way you use your bicycle.
There are plenty of bike shops in Minnesota where you can find exactly the bike you want along with accessories and trained staff who can perform necessary repairs and offer expert advice on which bikes are right for your needs. This is important, since if you are not a regular bicyclist you may be overwhelmed by how many different bikes there are to choose from.
By and large, people who work in bike shops will be experts and can advise you on what types of bikes are best for your purposes. Naturally, the kind of bikes you look at will be largely dependent on what you plan to use the bike for. If you need a bike for off road use, you would not select the same model as if you needed a bike strictly for use on the street as you commute to and from work.
Just as with a car, you should test out any bike before you make your decision. The staff at the bike shop can make a recommendation, but the only way to know for sure is to take the bike for a test ride. This is the best way to assess how comfortable the bike is and whether it is one which will be suitable for your regular use.
A bike which is the wrong size or configuration for you will usually result in an uncomfortable ride, soreness and a slower trip. Even if a bike which is not quite right for you is a little cheaper, it is not genuinely a good value unless it provides you with a comfortable ride.
When you need some repairs done on your bike, the bike shops in your neighborhood are usually where you will go to have it done. Even if you are familiar with some of the routine maintenance procedures, it is important to have a place close by that you can take your bike to be fixed when something goes wrong.
Riding a bike provides a great escape from the normalcy of the world. When you are on the road feeling the wind blow through your hair and against your skin, you will realize that you made the right choice in purchasing a bike. Minnesota residents should give it a try and see what bike riding can do for you.
Making your daily commute by bike allows you to save a significant amount of money. When shopping for a new bike, keep in mind how much money you will save by biking instead of driving and hit your local bike shops to find your new cost effective, environmentally friendly, healthier vehicle.
A lightweight folding bike has become the ally of many commuters. Traveling cities has become popular and a lot easier with a lightweight folding bike. They can be stored in smaller areas or carried into buildings with ease. Environmentally sound, lightweight and affordable are just three of the advantages of owning folding bicycles.
There are different models of folding bicycles. Some remain in one piece when they are folded and others will require removal of pedals and other parts to fold. Some may require the removal of a wheel or two.
Comfort is an important feature. Check with various retailers to find the bicycle that provides the body with complete comfort. Trying out various sizes is the first step in choosing the correct folding bike. Sitting on the bicycle in the normal riding position will give an idea of proper size.
Taking the bike for a ride will allow the other points of comfort to be considered. Proper size allows the rider to ride further and faster than one that is too large or too small. Folding bicycles range from sixteen-inch wheels to twenty-six inch wheels. Manufacturers are often willing to provide mountain-bike type tires if they are desired. The choice lies with the buyer. During a test ride, it is advisable to open and fold the bicycle a few times. Be sure that the parts stay locked together when folded. That fact alone can prevent injury.
Lightweight bike seats need to be checked as well. An uncomfortable seat on folding bicycles will shorten the ride and can increase the soreness to your backside. This can be vitally important. It is also possible to improve the comfort of the seat. There are gel seats available for many folding bikes. If the bike is the correct size, but the seat is too hard, high, soft or otherwise not acceptable, comfort can be achieved with a relatively inexpensive seat cover.
The tires and tubes on the lightweight folding bike also need to be considered. Different weights have different abilities. Checking with the retailer can help to make the proper choices in this respect.
The price range of lightweight bicycles prices vary from $200.00 to $2000.00 and more. It will depend on the reliability of the company and the bike. When a purchase this large is considered, it pays to check with the Better Business Bureau before investing money. Checking the return policy with the retailer will also provide a bit of confidence. While a short ride may seem enjoyable, a long trail ride may prove very different.